Just 30 some years and I can do it all!

“We’re here with, David and Caroline who are one week away from their retirement.  Caroline is an engineer, just turned 65 and David a nurse who just turned 60.  Carline let’s start with you, how do you feel?”

“Well, it’s a big step, for sure, I mean I’ve been working for 43 years, 50-60 hours per week, so this will be a big change, but we want to enjoy it while we still can.”

“That’s great, and what do you plan on doing with all your free time?”

“Travel, we want to go on Safari, want to see Asia, want to learn how to scuba dive, learn Spanish, maybe go to Cuba to dance salsa, Argentina to learn how to tango, take an art class, do all the things we haven’t had time to do yet.”

“And David, you’re taking early retirement, how does that feel?”

“Well, I wanted to be able to enjoy this time with Caroline, we’ve been married for 25 years and have never really had the time to do all the things we wanted to do, between work, mortgages, family obligations and now finally this is our time.”

“Well that is wonderful, it’s how it should be, a lifetime of work, obligation and bills so that when you reach your 60’s, probably 70’s for the next generation, you can do it all.  I wish you both lots of luck and happiness in this next stage of your life.”

-----------------------------

“We’re here with Stephanie, a young professional in her mid-thirties, to talk about the working culture of her generation.  So Stephanie, what are you working on now?”

“I’ve taken some time off work to travel actually.  I got my scuba diving license a few years ago, so earlier this year I went to Bali to dive; visited some friends in Asia and ate lots of curry :). Then I traveled around South America and now I’m in Argentina, learning Spanish, dancing tango, I’m trying to be part of a semi-professional dance team at my dance school, it’s something I’ve always wanted to try and I figured now was a good time to do it. I’m also taking a creative writing class, doing lots of yoga, taking an art class… all of that.”

“So you’re not in an office from 9 to 5 everyday?  Are you ok? ”

“No, not in an office from 9 to 5, I was in one from 8 to 8 actually, for about 7 years and I’ll go back eventually, I just wanted to do some other things for now, not wait to retire to do them I figure, we're expected to work 45 years of our lives, it doesn't seem too crazy to take a few to do something else if you can.....”

“But...but what about working, your career?  You’re not going to run off on safari after this are you?”

“Not right now, although I highly recommend it, I went 10 years ago in Kenya and I loved it!  I had also taken some time off then to do volunteer work in Somalia and traveled around Africa for a while.”

“I’m so sorry you’re not working, I really hope you find work and things sort themselves out for you.  I mean I’m sure they will you just have to keep trying.”

“Um, ok… but really I’m ok for now… but thank you I guess.”


“No worries, it’ll be ok.”


Comments

Popular Posts