Cape Town continued

So as I keep saying I came here determined not to like Cape Town. You have to understand that within a period of 24 hours i went from living in a place where seeing people with no shoes, meat sold on street corners, cattle crossings.....and all the other good stuff to here where groceries and restaurants offer free range and organic options.... last night i forced myself to go out to a bar that plays african tribal music. So it was nice but i was in a bar sipping 10$ martinis listening to tribal music, there was a drag queen sitting next to me and I knew exactly who the bartender was going home with that night. It was a great place and in Montreal I'd be all over this place, I just think I wasn't ready for such a transition. Last time I heard tribal music was on a pirogue with the rowers singing and then we all are fish together off a leaf...and now I'm in some cross between New York and San Fran and Africa.

Of course as they say you can take the girl out of the city but not the city out of the girl, and yes I am a city person and I won't lie there are things that are great about being back here. The music I've missed, jazz, classical, sitting in a nice little cafe on the terasse watching people pass by. today is Nelson Mandela's birthday and we're celebrating the spirit on Ubuntu (an african concept all about openness and acceptance) so despite that no one throws a festival like Montreal, it is nice here. I'm just not really feeling like I'm fitting in, I haven't really tried either.

Yesterday I decided to go out and buy "shoes" to "go out" in, so I got 13$ on the street and a going out "top" and I went out for drinks and I just wasn't feeling it, yes the bar scene, yes I've missed it, yes part of me wanted to be home and dress up and fix my hair and look pretty and party all night with the locals, but the other part of me wanted to go out in whatever have drinks with the people from Fab's in Morondava or have dinner and drinks sitting on someone's floor and listening to the people singing outside like in Mad.

But yes Cape Town is nice, I leave tomorrow to go see the sharks and whales....and maybe paraglide and before I leave I'm going to spend a few more days in Cape Town and go out and give it the chance it deserves.

The locals are really nice, the hot topic is still of course apartheid and how despite it having be abolished, the people washing the nice cars are one colour and the people driving them are another....is it any different than NYC or somewhere back home? I'm not sure but we're in Africa here so the dominant colour is not the same as back home. It's strange you don't really know what to think. I've met alot ALOT of Congolese, Senegalese and other french speaking african colonies. All here in search of work of fleeing war in there country, like back home, most of these people have degrees but are forced into remedial jobs, there is tension between the locals who see them as taking their jobs....

Anyhow, I leave tomorrow and I realize I've spent way too much time on the net so i'm going to try to tone it down for the coming 2 weeks.

I hope everyone is well.
kisses
A

Comments

Popular Posts